Click a tab below to view answers to common questions about Cisco VoIP telephony services provided by the N.C. Department of Information Technology.
Can I dial seven digits for local/internal calls?
No. Instead of seven-digit dialing for internal calls, you now use 10-digit dialing for both internal and external calls. This change is required to accommodate dial-plan growth.
Do I need to dial 9 to access an outside line?
No. Simply dial the 10-digit telephone number, and it will route correctly.
What features are included in my telephone service?
All features described in the NCDIT Cisco 88XX User Guide are included at no additional charge. Cisco Jabber and Cisco Webex Teams are also provided at no additional charge.
What is Single Number Reach, and is there an additional charge to use it?
The Cisco Unified Mobility application (known as Mobile Connect) is commonly called Single Number Reach. It lets Cisco Unified Communications users be reached via a single phone number that rings on both their IP desk phone and their cellphone (Remote Destination) simultaneously. This is provided as a basic service, and there is no additional charge to use it.
How do I set up and enable Single Number Reach?
To set up and enable Single Number Reach:
- Log on to the Cisco Self Care Portal. (If working remotely, you must first be connected to VPN.)
- Click the "Phones" tab on the top of the page. Next, click on the "My Phones" tab in the left column.
- Under "Additional Phones," click on the plus sign (+) to add a phone number.
- In the "Add a New Additional Phone" form that appears, find the "Phone Number or URI" box. Enter a 10-digit phone number, beginning with the + symbol and 1 (e.g., +1-555-555-5555).
- Click the "Enable Single Number Reach" button and the "Enable Move to Mobile" button. Then, click "Save."
- Click on the "Advanced Call Timing" link at the bottom of the form.
- Several options will appear. Under the phrase "Prevent this call from going straight to this phone's voicemail by," click the box "Requiring you to respond to a prompt to be connected." Then, click the "Save" button.
Can I still use my existing conference bridge?
Yes. These are provided by AT&T and will continue to function.
Can I forward calls off-net?
No. This is prohibited by state of North Carolina policy. This policy, however, has been temporarily suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
What is the Cisco Self Care Portal and how do I access it?
The Self Care Portal can be used to manage your telephone settings, including speed dial numbers, ring settings, voicemail notifications, call history, call forwarding and phone contacts. Access the Self Care Portal here. (If working remotely, you must first be connected to VPN.)
Do I get voicemail with my telephone service, and is there an extra charge for it?
All customers are provided with voicemail as part of NCDIT’s basic service offering. There is no additional charge for voicemail. Please refer to the Cisco NCDIT voicemail reference guide for instructions.
Do I really need to change my voicemail PIN every 90 days?
Yes. This is required by state of North Carolina policy.
How long do I have to wait to reuse a voicemail PIN?
Three PIN changes are necessary before you can reuse your PIN.
What is Cisco Webex?
Cisco Webex is an easy-to-use collaboration tool that keeps teams connected anytime, anywhere. Webex delivers instant messaging, video and voice calls, voice messaging, desktop and file sharing and other tools to foster collaboration and produce results faster and more efficiently.
If I intend to use Webex as my primary telephony tool, do I need a physical telephone set as well?
No. You do not need a physical telephone set.
Does 911 work with Webex?
Yes, but customers are cautioned NOT to call 911 from their Webex client when away from their normal work location. Webex will present your normal work location to the 911 operator and might significantly delay emergency response.
Can I get a sound notification if someone IMs me in Webex?
Yes. Go to “Notifications” in the application settings and adjust sounds to your preference.
Why does my camera always come on in Webex?
That is the default setting. To change, go to “Callings” in the application settings, and select your preference.
How do I toggle my speaker on/off when using Webex on my mobile device?
When you are in a call, a speaker icon appears on the top right off your screen. This toggles between using your phone normally and the speaker phone mode.
If I am a basic telephony user, can I access Webex?
All customers are provided with the Webex Unified Communications Solution (soft phone). This allows remote workers to use their PC as their telephone set (note that a headset is required). Please see the Webex Quick Start Guide for details.
Can I use Webex on my personal or state-provided cellphone?
Yes. You have the option of using Webex on your cellphone or tablet by downloading the most recent version from your preferred app store.
How do I install Webex on my mobile device?
Note: If you currently have Webex on your device, you must delete it before following the instructions below.
- Download and install Webex on your device from your preferred app store. Allow Webex to access any items requested, and then accept the End User License Agreement.
- Click on “Advanced Settings,” on the Cisco Webex landing page. Then, disable the option to automatically connect to the server.
- Select “Teams Messaging” from the dropdown, and then click Save.
- On the Cisco Webex landing page, enter your email address, and click "Continue" to go to the North Carolina Application Authentication Site. There, enter your email address and NCID password.
- Select “Update” on the “Update Credentials” prompt that appears. You will then be taken to the “Phone Services” screen. Press Cancel, and Webex will function properly.
Can I upload and save documents in Webex?
Yes. WebEx Teams’ functionality is very similar to Microsoft Teams.
Should I use Webex Teams or Microsoft Teams as my collaboration tool?
There is currently no state of North Carolina policy on what tool to use. This is an individual agency/department decision.
Can I use Single Number Reach and Cisco Webex on my mobile device simultaneously?
Yes, but NCDIT does not recommend it because users have experienced issues while doing so. NCDIT recommends running only Webex due to its increased functionality.
When using Single Number Reach and Webex, why do I occasionally have one-way audio during my calls?
This issue appears to be related to the transfer of the call between Webex and your cellphone. Cisco recommends enabling a voice prompt, which has proved successful when tested with impacted users.
To enable the voice prompt:
- Log in to the Cisco Self Care Portal. (If working remotely, you must first be connected to VPN.)
- Under "Additional Phones," click on the gear icon in the top right corner of the box that contains your name and cellphone number.
- Click "Edit." Then click on "Advanced call timing."
- Under "Prevent this call from going straight to this phone's voicemail by:" choose “requiring you to respond to a prompt to be connected.”
- Click "Save." Then click "Save" again.
When you receive a call on Single Number Reach on your cellphone, you will be prompted to press any number to connect your call.
Do I get a Webex Meetings account?
Yes. All users are provided with a free Webex Meetings account as part of the basic service.
How do I schedule a Webex meeting?
Webex has been deployed in the Hybrid Calendar mode. To create a Webex meeting:
- Create a meeting in Microsoft Outlook.
- Type “@webex” in the Location field.
- Send the meeting invitation.
Note that you will not see the Webex dial-in information until after you send the invitation.
Can I schedule a Webex meeting with someone outside my organization?
Yes. All you need is their email address. They do not need Webex installed on their computer to join.
When I set up a Webex meeting, no one can start it if the host doesn’t join. Can I change the default settings to allow participants to meet without the host?
When using a personal room, you can adjust the preferences to allow others to host. From ncgov.webex.com, log in to your personal room. Go to "Preferences" in the left navigation panel. Then select "My Personal Room," and click to allow alternate hosts.
What is Webex Assistant?
Cisco Webex Assistant is a voice-activated, in-meeting assistant that automates common meeting tasks in Webex Meetings desktop and mobile apps (iOS and Android). Its icon appears in the lower left corner of a Webex meeting window.
How do I use Webex Assistant?
Webex Assistant does many things: it provides real-time transcripts, closed-captioning, highlights, notes, action items and post-meeting editing and distribution. For more information on how to use them, see the user guide.
What features does Webex Assistant have?
|Live transcription||Turn off running captions in the right panel at any point during a meeting.|
|Closed captioning||Users with hearing impairments can choose to follow text across the lower third of the screen.|
|Meeting highlights||Capture highlights with voice-activated trigger words, voice commands or selecting and highlighting text.|
|Voice commands||Say “OK Webex” and then a command (e.g., “Create an action item/task/note," “Decided,” “Highlight,” “In summary”).|
|Record transcripts||Enable in-meeting recordings to generate a transcript with the speakers labelled.|
|Cross-meeting searches||Search all post-meeting transcripts with keywords.|
|View and edit highlights||On the Webex Meetings page, view highlights, see and edit transcripts and play the associated audio.|
|Share highlights||Select multiple highlights to share via follow-up email to custom emails or all or specific participants.|
I experience occasional call quality issues (e.g., echoes, background noise) when using Webex. Is there a way to eliminate this?
If you are experience call quality issues, be sure you are following the best practices below.
- If you are using a computer to join the Webex meeting and need to use the phone for audio (rather than using the “Join by Phone” option), select the “Call Me at ….” option from the “Use Computer for Audio” dropdown list.
- If you're calling in from a telephone, disconnect the computer audio.
- Encourage all participants to mute their audio unless they are actively speaking.
Where can I find more information and how-to guides for Webex Meetings?
You can find more information at the Webex Help Center.