Types of Public Records

The N.C. Department of Information Technology is only responsible for its own records and does not have access to records of other state departments and agencies.

Records NCDIT Can Provide

NCDIT may provide records related to:

  • IT procurements
  • NCDIT correspondence
  • NCDIT data and records
  • NCDIT human resources

Frequently Requested Records NCDIT Does Not Manage

NCDIT often receives requests for public records and other information that it cannot provide. Below is a list of frequently requested types and how to request them.

Record Type Who to Contact
911 Calls

The 911 call center, also known as a public safety answering point, that handled the call manages 911 call records.

Contact information for PSAPs

NCID Account Creation & Password Reset NCDIT manages NCID accounts and passwords. Contact the NCDIT Service Desk for assistance with NCID creation or password resets. If you need assistance with any other accounts, contact the agency that manages the application you are trying to access.
County Information

If you are looking for information from or about a specific county, contact that county.

Contact information for counties

Unemployment Benefits Claims & Employer Tax Records Contact the N.C. Division of Employment Security.
Stimulus Payments Contact the Internal Revenue Service.
Child Support Contact the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services Child Support Services.
Non-NCDIT Correspondence

For correspondence between state employees that are not NCDIT employees, contact the agency where the individual is employed.

Contact information for state agencies

Non-NCDIT Data/Records

For data and/or records from an agency other than NCDIT, contact that agency’s public information office.

Contact information for state agencies

Background Checks Obtain copies of various background checks through your current employer, the State Bureau of Investigation or N.C. Administrative Office of the Courts.
Tax Records Obtain copies of North Carolina tax records from the N.C. Department of Revenue.
Retirement & Pay information

Help with retirement information:

Help with pay statements:

  • Active state employees can obtain copies of their pay statements through BEACON.
  • Retired employees can obtain copies of pay statements from the N.C. Department of the State Treasurer, Retirement Systems Division.
  • Separated employees can obtain copies of pay statements through the human resources office at your last agency.

Submit a Public Records Request

To submit a request, use the online public records request form.