K-12 Internet Service (E-Rate)
Our E-Rate team assists customers in completing and filing the documents for the federal E-Rate program, and ensures that customers receive their E-Rate funds they qualify and are approved for. The E-Rate program was created as part of the 1996 Telecommunications Act. It allows K-12 schools and public libraries to receive funds for Internet access and telecommunication services.
Our clients are responsible for the following:
- Develop an approved technology plan reflecting the requested services on E-Rate applications
- Comply with the Children's Internet Protection Act
- Complete required E-Rate documents, which include requested funding amounts, budget information, free and reduced lunch numbers, and school enrollment figures
- E-Rate eligible entities can potentially obtain funding for 20%–90% of their cost for Internet access and telecommunication services.
- Purchasing through DIT means you have access to management of and contract pricing for Internet access and telecommunication services.
- K-12 schools and public libraries that purchase Internet access and telecommunication services from DIT
- Department of Public Instruction (DPI), which purchases circuits for the state K-12 network
How Do We Charge?
We provide this service at no cost to our customers.
Before contacting us for assistance, we recommend that you view information about the federal E-Rate program at the following sites:
- Schools and Libraries Division, Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) — provides current information, as well as online application forms
- What is E-Rate?, DPI — provides information for North Carolina K-12 schools
- Universal Service E-Rate Discount Programs, State Library of North Carolina (SLNC) — provides current E-Rate discount rates for North Carolina public libraries, as well as guidelines on how to develop a technology plan
To take advantage of our service, contact our Service Desk at 919-754-6000 or 1-800-722-3946, or email ITS.email@example.com to submit a service request to the E-Rate team. Please indicate whether you need E-Rate assistance for Internet access or telephone service. An appropriate member of our team will contact you to discuss your needs.