In 2015, the N.C. General Assembly passed legislation requiring the N.C. Department of Information Technology to manage most of the “enterprise information technology functions” in the executive branch. Unless otherwise exempt in legislation, most IT professionals currently working in state government agencies will work in service of their original agencies as employees of NCDIT.
NCDIT's optimization effort follows a nationwide IT consolidation trend, working toward a more cohesive approach to the state’s IT challenges by providing consistent, effective and high-quality IT services to North Carolina agencies.
Several other states, including Ohio, Oklahoma, New York, Michigan, Louisiana, West Virginia and Texas, have completed or are currently engaged in IT consolidation initiatives.
Optimizing the state’s IT resources and improving IT procurement and services will allow for continued growth of NCDIT as an agency, making it the most efficient and productive resource of information technology for North Carolina and its residents.
Optimized agencies currently are:
- N.C. Department of Administration
- N.C. Department of Environmental Quality
- N.C. Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
- N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
- N.C. Office of State Budget and Management
- N.C. Department of Public Safety
- N.C. Department of Transportation
- N.C. Office of State Human Resources
Employees with questions about Optimization should send an email to NCDIT Human Resources at DIT.Optimization-HR@nc.gov.