Registration is open until April 4, 2023, for high school students to join the CyberStart America competition. This free, online learning competition for students can act as an on-ramp to a career in one of the world’s fastest-growing industries.
Complete details, including registration, can be found at www.cyberstartamerica.org. (Although registration is open until April 4, students are encouraged to sign up earlier to allow more time for game play.)
Help Spread the Word
Last year, 24 high school and college students across North Carolina who participated in CyberStart America were named National Cyber Scholars by the National Cyber Scholarship Foundation. The winners were among 1,562 students from 162 schools in the state to participate in the program.
Help us surpass that number this year.
Spread the word about CyberStart America to the high school students in your life. Check out the videos and other promotional resources at the bottom of this page.
Why CyberStart America Is Important
There are approximately 23,000 vacant cyber-related positions in North Carolina. Nationally, that number tops more than 755,000.
Introducing students now to cybersecurity careers helps create educational pathways and opportunities to build a diverse and talented cyber pipeline to help address future threats and challenges.
- With CyberStart America, students have access to more than 200 real-world addictive cybersecurity challenges.
- Teachers and educators can use the program as a fun addition to curriculum, the basis of an extracurricular club, or students can just try it on their own.
- No knowledge or tech experience is needed. Students learn everything they need to know in the game.
- Students can use the platform to train and qualify for the National Cyber Scholarship program, allowing them to compete for life-changing college scholarship opportunities.
CyberStart America: You're Perfect!
Get Ready for CyberStart America!
Sample Social Media Posts
Below are some social media posts to get you started sharing about CyberStart America. Remember to tag us in any posts on Twitter and Facebook, so we can share on our profiles.
- Discover your hidden talents for cybersecurity careers with @cyberstartusa, a free online game only for high school students. No experience is required. Learn more at https://www.cyberstartamerica.org/. #CyberSecureNC #CyberStartNC
- You might have a talent for cybersecurity, but how would you know? @cyberstartusa is for you. Discover your talents and learn about cybersecurity careers through a free, online game of fun cyber-related puzzles. Sign up today: https://www.cyberstartamerica.org/ #CyberSecureNC #CyberStartNC
- @cyberstartusa is underway! US high school students get hundreds of hours of cybersecurity games for free. Scholarships worth millions for students to change their futures! Pass it on to teachers, students and parents: https://www.cyberstartamerica.org/ #CyberSecureNC #CyberStartNC
- @cyberstartusa is a free, immersive online game for high school students to discover the exciting world of cybersecurity. Get access to 200 real-world challenges, train and qualify for college scholarships! Register now: https://www.cyberstartamerica.org/ #CyberSecureNC #CyberStartNC
- You don't need to be a techie to thrive in cybersecurity. @cyberstartusa fast-tracks potential and teaches key concepts, techniques and tactics in a free, fun way. No experience needed. No textbooks in sight. Sign up today! https://www.cyberstartamerica.org/ #CyberSecureNC #CyberStartNC
- High-flying careers start with high school students discovering their talents. Like when they join @cyberstartusa. The ultimate cybersecurity learning tool packed with 200+ challenges and a chance for scholarships. Sign up now! https://www.cyberstartamerica.org/ #CyberSecureNC #CyberStartNC
- Cyber ambition meets next-level tuition with @cyberstartusa. 200+ addictive, immersive challenges and future-boosting scholarships to be won. All online, not a textbook in sight. Sign up now! https://www.cyberstartamerica.org/ #CyberSecureNC #CyberStartNC
- Add cyber skills to your curriculum. No experience or special tech required. @cyberstartusa can help you inspire, educate and encourage students to explore cybersecurity careers. Fast, free, fun! https://www.cyberstartamerica.org/ #CyberSecureNC #CyberStartNC
News & Feature Articles
- Cybersecurity training, jobs show rapid gains (Jan. 17, 2022, Business North Carolina)
- N.C.'s surging number of tech jobs has officials focusing on future work force (Jan. 3, 2022, Triangle Business Journal)
- Gov. Cooper encourages high school students to explore cybersecurity careers (Jan. 3, 2022, NCDIT)
- NCDIT fosters cybersecurity interest among local high school students (Aug. 27, 2021, NCDIT)
- Local high school students may be the future of cybersecurity (June 7, 2021, WRAL News)
- 18 N.C. high school students named ‘National Cyber Scholars’ after winning nationwide cybersecurity competition (June 3, 2021, NCDIT)
Gov. Roy Cooper Meets 2022 National Cyber Scholars
During lunch at the North Carolina Digital Government Summit in Raleigh on Aug. 16, 2022, Gov. Roy Cooper poses for a photo with State Chief Risk Officer Rob Main (far left), six of the 24 North Carolina high school and college students named National Cyber Scholars, and N.C. Department of Information Technology Secretary and State Chief Information Officer Jim Weaver (far right).
"I'm excited," Gov. Cooper told the students. "I see the potential to make our state a greater place to live and work and to raise a family. You guys are the future. I'm excited for you."
Other Outreach Materials
- CyberStart America Information Sheet (Adobe PDF)
- CyberStart America Poster (Adobe PDF)
- CyberStart America Recruitment Email (Adobe PDF)
- CyberStart America Newsletter Article (Microsoft Word)