We provide managed mainframe hosting solutions for mission-critical z/OS and z/Linux applications for state and local governments, municipalities, and school systems.
Our Service Support is responsible for making hardware and operating system environments available that enable fast and reliable processing. IBM mainframes coupled with disk drives, robotic and virtual tape units provide a complete system for a customer to execute batch or real-time job streams.
Our Mainframe and Software Services Management (MSSM) provides software installation, upgrade, and monitoring support for the following Middleware products:
- MQSeries (client not monitored)
- CICS Transaction Gateway (CTG)
- DB2 Connect (client not monitored)
- WebSphere Application Server (WAS) (monitored at platform level)
- Nastel Monitoring for MQSeries Servers
We offer both high-speed, continuous-form laser printing and standard impact printing. A scheduled courier service is provided for delivering the printer output to various customer locations within the capital area.
Our laser printers are capable of producing continuous-form output at speeds of up to1060 pages per minute. The printers are IBM Advanced Function Printing (AFP) capable and can print duplex and simplex as well as Magnetic Ink Character Recognition (MICR) for producing easy to scan documents. Post-processing equipment allows for the continuous form output to be trimmed to various customer designated lengths and widths. Also, our impact printers provide standard impact printing for pre-printed or multi-part forms.
We offer a wide variety of storage capabilities utilizing tape and disk. These capabilities span the mainframe and open systems environments. We offer multiple disk and tape tiers such as high-end disk storage, virtual tape, mid-range disk storage, NAS devices, serial ATA disk systems, SAN attached storage and content addressable storage.
Our storage offerings also come with standard reporting capabilities that provide utilization, performance and trending information. We routinely collect projection information from our customers in order to provide appropriate capacity planning for all storage offerings.
Customers will realize the following benefits:
- Safe, secure, redundant hardware and operating systems that allow customers to run mission-critical z/OS and z/Linux applications for state and local governments, municipalities, and school systems
- 24/7 monitoring for unusual behavior and error conditions, as well as hardware, applications, and operating systems failures utilizing a variety of tools
- The system capacity is tracked and monitored to ensure the timely provisioning of adequate processing resources
- We utilize GDPS/XRC to perform data mirroring at our Western Data Center (WDC).
- We mirror mainframe data 24/7 in an asynchronous manner with data current to within 5 minutes or less.
- Data Mirroring allows us to shorten recovery time and minimize both Mainframe Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO).
- We provide monthly full pack backups for mainframe systems, applications and data.
- These backups are secondary and a supplement to the GDPS/XRC process. The backups may be discontinued at some future date. Customers will be notified in advance if the backups are discontinued.
Backups and Tape Vaulting
- Customers may desire to create application backups using software available at DIT.
- It is the responsibility of the customer to do full backups if desired.
- Off-site storage or vaulting is available for application backups if desired.
- Datasets written to virtual tape at the EDC are replicated to the WDC.
- We use Hierarchical Store Manager (HSM) for dataset backups, if requested. Customer requirements define the policy.
Program Products and Security
- We support and maintain a wide range of program products that are used by the system, customers, internal technical support or used to monitor the system and applications.
- These program products are patched and maintained at a current (N) or recent version /level (N-1).
- Upgrades and patches are put through a test, development, and production sequence to ensure that all changes are implemented in a controlled, error-free manner.
- We utilize IBM's Resource Access Control Facility (RACF) for security and access control.
- Time Sharing Option (TSO) logins, batch, and application jobs are controlled and restricted to the authority level required to complete the job.
- State Agencies
- Local and County Governments
How Do We Charge?
The Hosting Services Implementation group is the designated point of contact responsible for obtaining official customer requirements for Mainframe Hosting services. Architectural and Engineering Services are available to perform a needs assessment based on initial scope determined by the Hosting Services Implementation group.
A Hosting Services Coordinator will put together a project team and create a formal project plan based on the results of the assessment.
The Hosting Services Coordinator is available to assist you to:
- Provide ongoing project management and communication between us and the customer organization.
- Manage project plans, help mitigate risks and provide escalation when required.
- Prepare server configurations to meet business requirements and provide cost estimates.
- Manage purchase order requisitions and coordinate with hardware and software vendors for delivery of equipment.
To obtain our services:
- Send an email to our Service Desk at email@example.com requesting consultation from the Hosting Services Implementation group.
- A Hosting Services Coordinator will respond directly and schedule a discovery meeting to determine your scope and requirements.
- The Hosting Services Coordinator will review and analyze your request based on the completed customer questionnaire.
- An initial meeting is set up to review these requirements.
Communications and Status
If you are a customer of this service, please visit our Customer Communication Hub to self-register for communications regarding this service and to view Service Status.
- Effective August 15, 2016, the ITS Communications Hub has been replaced with the new DIT Communications Hub. The DIT Communications Hub is restricted to government and educational agencies.
- The link to the new DIT Communications Hub is https://ncconnect.sharepoint.com/sites/it_ext/com_hub
- If you are unable to access the new DIT Communications Hub please contact the DIT Service Desk at 919-754-6000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.