Multifactor authentication (MFA) is a security system that combines two or more methods of authentication from independent categories of credentials to verify the user’s identity for a login or other transactions. In MFA each additional authentication factor is intended to increase the assurance that an entity involved in communication or trying to access an application or system is who, or what, they are declared to be. The three categories are often described as something you know (password), something you have (token) and something you are (biometric).
The MFA solution for the State of North Carolina offers enhanced protection and helps to deliver strong security via a range of secondary authentication methods, including mobile apps, phone calls, text messages and 3rd party software or physical tokens.
The MFA solution will support the scale and availability required by the state to service its customer’s most critical applications through distribution of the MFA solution across the state data centers.
- MFA is essential in addressing the state’s security and compliance requirements.
- MFA integrates with numerous modern applications across many platforms.
- The MFA service is highly reliable and scalable, supporting high volume mission critical applications.
- Agencies can integrate one or more of their applications into the MFA solution.
- Agencies can delegate administration to one or more application owners to manage MFA for their users.
North Carolina Departments, Agencies and Executive branches
The DIT Service Desk operates 24 x 7 and offers a single point of contact for all customer inquiries related to DIT services for the State of North Carolina. The DIT Service Desk agents provide business and technical infrastructure analysis, problem solving, and first and second level diagnostics.
Hours of Operation
DIT Services are available 24 x 7, excluding planned outage maintenance windows and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are used only when needed for planned changes that have gone through the DIT Change Management Process. In addition to the Standard DIT Maintenance Windows, site-specific changes may be coordinated with customers at non-standard times.
DIT Standard maintenance windows include:
- 4:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. eachThursday
- 4:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. eachSunday
Any service maintenance windows outside of these standard windows are documented in the service specific SLA.
Contacting Support and Ticket Escalation
The DIT Service Desk is the single point of contact for initiating all Incidents and Service Requests, including any requests for ticket escalation. Customers may contact the DIT Service Desk at 919-754-6000 or toll free at 1-800-722-3946 or via email at ITS.Incidents@its.nc.gov. The Business Relationship Manager assigned to your agency is available to address any questions regarding DIT Services, processes or information technology business needs. You may contact your Business Relationship Manager directly or initiate a Service Request with the DIT Service Desk.
DIT Global Service Levels
Please follow the link below to be directed to the DIT Global Service Level document; which includes information on Incident and Service Request handling as well as Change Management.
How Do We Charge?
As of November 1, 2016, and until Fiscal year 2017-2018, the MFA Service is considered ‘Live’ but pricing and charges are handled per engagement; and will be discussed during the requirements and solution process.
In the next budget and rate Fiscal cycle for 2017-2018, rates will be based on a monthly user fee - per application. Overall cost and pricing structure is under review by OSBM until that time.
Please contact the MFA service team for more information.
DIT Communications Hub
If you are a customer of this service, please visit our Customer Communication Hub to self-register for communications regarding this service and to view Service Status.
- Effective August 15, 2016, the ITS Communications Hub has been replaced with the new DIT Communications Hub. The DIT Communications Hub is restricted to government and educational agencies.
- The link to the new DIT Communications Hub is https://ncconnect.sharepoint.com/sites/it_ext/com_hub.
- If you are unable to access the new DIT Communications Hub please contact the DIT Service Desk at 919-754-6000 or email@example.com.
To subscribe to the MFA service, contact the DIT Service Desk at 919-754-6000 or 1-800-722-3946, or email ITS.firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the process. A member of the MFA Operations Team will contact you to discuss your requirements.