About the GICC
What is the Geographic Information Coordinating Council?
The North Carolina Geographic Information Coordinating Council (GICC) was established by the NC General Assembly to develop policies regarding the use of geographic information, geographic information systems (GIS), and related technologies. The Council is an organization of volunteers whose goals are to:
- Collaborate in geographic information and systems, involving state, federal, and local government agencies, academic institutions, private organizations and individuals across the state.
- Improve the quality, access, cost-effectiveness and utility of North Carolina’s geographic information and resources, and promote geographic information as a strategic resource.
- Efficiently collect, develop and use geographic information through voluntary exchange and sharing of data and technical know-how.
- Explore, guide and provide a framework for coordination including:
- Developing standards
- Planning strategically
- Resolving policy and technical issues
- Providing central direction and oversight
- Advising the Governor and the Legislature as to needed directions, responsibilities and funding regarding geographic information.
What does it do?
The Council achieves its goals through collaborative leadership, communication, and assistance. Leadership includes promoting geographic information system (GIS) technology for the state and demonstrating the value of reliable geographic information for effective decision making. The Council supports communication by providing opportunities to hear and examine issues, share ideas, and build consensus through collaborative activities. Assistance consists of standards and recommended practices, guidelines and policies, learning opportunities, and projects and initiatives that expand and improve public access to complete, consistent, current, statewide geographic information.
- GICC Meetings including dates, minutes, and presentations, as well as events related to the GICC and the GIS community in North Carolina
- Committees and working groups
- GICC reports and policies
- GICC standards and best practices
- Priorities including NC OneMap and other projects and initiatives
- GICC members
The Geographic Information Coordinating Council is charged with fostering cooperation among government agencies, universities and the private sector, creating policy and resolving technical issues related to North Carolina’s geographic information and GIS technology.
In 2001, the North Carolina General Assembly passed Session Law 2001-359, establishing the Geographic Information Coordinating Council by law. It also confirmed the role of the Center for Geographic Information and Analysis as staff to the Council with additional responsibilities to provide Internet access to State geographic information (NC OneMap). See North Carolina General Statutes Part 11 of Article 15 of Chapter 143B (G.S. 143B-1420 through 143B-1422).
Brief History of the GICC
Creation of the Geographic Information Coordinating Council and its governing provisions emerged from recommendations of the GIS Planning Task Force formed in January 1991 by the Information Technology Commission. The recommendations led to formation of the Council (GICC) through Executive Order #147 issued on July 30, 1991 by Governor James G. Martin.
The Council operated under executive orders until receiving its legislated authority in 2001. The Fiscal Year 2009-10 budget passed by the North Carolina General Assembly transferred CGIA to the Office of the State Chief Information Officer, appropriated funding for staff activities supporting the Council, reestablished CGIA’s professional services component, and revitalized the NC OneMap project.
View prior-years Council meeting information, including associated materials.
You are welcome to attend any meeting of interest, comment on Council concerns, and communicate with the chair of a committee or working group.
The Center for Geographic Information and Analysis is staff to the NC GICC.
Contact CGIA Director firstname.lastname@example.org 919.754.6588.